When we have the opportunity to help anyone, we should do it. -Galatians 6:10a (NCV)

Saturday, February 4, 2012

A real battle

Before I came to Haiti I didn't get it. Now, 4 years after living in the country, I am only beginning to understand it.

Voodoo. 

America treats it almost as a joke. One of my best friends back home bought Odessa the movie "The Princess and the Frog" for Christmas last year. It's a cute movie, but it revolves around Voodoo. Jokes about curses and spells. About selling your soul. When David watched this movie in French with us he was shocked that we would play with Voodoo in a kid's movie.

If I was reading this 4 years ago, I would not take it seriously. But let me tell you it is very much serious. Haiti is infiltrated with Voodoo, and it is NO joke. There is a real spiritual battle going on here. 

Ephesians 6:12 (NCV)
"Our fight is not against people on earth but against the rulers and authorities and the powers of this world's darkness, against the spiritual powers of evil in the heavenly world. "

This is very evident out in the village of Peredo. I can not tell you how many times, when walking, people stop me and tell me to walk around the path or go another way. They said that the devil passed by here or that the devil eats people who pass by this spot. I know you are shaking your head or laughing. I used to be in your shoes. 

The following pictures were taken about 50 yards away from Nadine's house in Peredo. Nadine is the young lady who is coming to the states for treatment on her stomach. She has family members who practice Voodoo. The first picture is of a house that a group who practices Voodoo began building for the Devil. Yep. You read that right. But they devil did not accept it and it caught on fire. By itself. People who are very respected in Peredo and that I have known to always be honest swear this happened.

 So they then built this house above. There are ceremonies held here by voodoo priests. They say the devil accepted it.

The thing that is weird to me in this is that most of the people who built or helped buy supplies to help build this dwelling live in huts themselves.  But they worship the devell and wanted to give him their best.

This last picture is of a huge tree growing on a small riverbank right down from the 2 houses. This is where they say the devil lives. Inside the tree.


Even the Christians in the area believe he lives in the tree. They believe in God and worship Him only but are wise enough to recognize the devil is lurking around. Waiting to pull down as many people into hell with him.


I was taught this growing up in the church, but it took me coming to Haiti to really "see" the spiritual warfare going on.

I don't take another path when I am told the devil is there. I don't shake or shudder when I pass Voodoo houses. I am protected. I am covered in the blood of Jesus Christ. This makes the Devil shudder! He can not touch me without God's permission. There is Power in the Blood!

Please pray for Haiti. Voodoo is so wrapped into the culture here that some Christians don't even realize what they are saying. And that's just the way the devil likes it. He is a master of disguises.

Don't let him fool you.


No comments: