When we have the opportunity to help anyone, we should do it. -Galatians 6:10a (NCV)

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Emeralds and jasper and pearls...OH MY!

There is a saying that I often hear that is so untrue but used so casually, even by Christians. I wonder if people realize what they are saying when they say it. I remember a time in my early 20's I used it a lot too.

"You only live once."

I think we use it to justify a lot of decisions we make. For example, those jeans that are way too expensive but fit sooo good. Or splurging on that all-inclusive vacation or dream wedding. Or even over indulging our kids. They're only a kid once you know. See how easy the justification is?

The great news for Christians is we don't only live once. (Bad news for non-Chrisitans) Round 2 is coming. Where there is no sickness or tears. Where there is no poverty or orphans. Where we are not judged on model of our vehicle or the quality of our kitchen countertops. Jesus is preparing a place for us. Did you catch that? Jesus...the man sitting at the right hand of GOD left to prepare a place for us.

John 14:2-3
"There are many rooms in my Father's house; I would not tell you this if it were not true. I am going there to prepare a place for you. After I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me so that you may be where I am."

I remember when I was younger thinking old people were crazy when they said,"Come Lord Jesus Come. Come quickly." Frankly there were a lot of things I still wanted to do in life. Now that seems ridiculous. But at the time I had college ahead of me and I wanted to learn to drive a car and couldn't wait to be out on my own. I wasn't ready to forget the worldly adventures.

And now that I have experienced those things and many other unpleasant things I understand the much wiser older people I once scoffed at.

I have lived in a third world country for 4 years. I am tired. Tired of sicknesses with a lack of medicines and hospitals. Saddened by a poverty that sends children to bed hungry. Aching for parents who send their children to bed hungry. Nauseated by images burned in my mind of child slavery. Disgusted with some missions and humanitarian organizations who do not practice in Haiti what they preach in the United States.

But God never promised me this life would be easy. Trust me. I have searched the bible and googled it and asked more mature, educated Christians. That promise is not there. He did not promise that there would be no tears in being a missionary. He didn't promise I wouldn't watch people die of illnesses here in Haiti that they could be treated for in the United States. He didn't promise me I wouldn't be homesick and lonely. He didn't promise I would be making meals bought in a grocery store on my granite countertops in my gourmet kitchen.

But He did promise the following:

Revelation 21:4
"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, sadness, crying, or pain, because all the old ways are gone."

No more tears? Well then there must not be hunger, sickness, death.

Read Revelation 21:18-21. Seriously. Stop reading here and look it up. I'll wait.

For those of you who didn't go get your bible and look it up go to www.biblegateway.com and type in the bible verses and it will instantly look them up for you. It seriously can't get easier than that.

Did you read it?

Now imagine it.

Jasper. Every kind of jewel. Sapphire. Emerald. Onyx. Topaz. Amethyst. Pearls. Pure gold as clear as glass!

This is living! Forget granite countertops...the streets are made of gold! If we are going to be walking on gold, what has He got planned for us to eat off of???

I can not wait to see Heaven's dessert table. That may sound dumb but I love making sweets. I have often said if I had it to do over agin that I would go to culinary school not nursing school. Can you imagine the cake decorating skills we are going to see? That gets me so excited. I know, it's pretty petty but I get all giddy thinking about it.

Ok back to topic.

So when this world gets me down...I remember there is another life coming.

Next time you hear someone say, "You only live once!" Use that as a evangelism tool.

1 comment:

RBC said...

This is awesome Ginny. You inspire me. You are right on girl and you are on my continual prayer list. May God continue to work through you in all you do. Thanks for speaking the truth of His word. Press on Sister.