When we have the opportunity to help anyone, we should do it. -Galatians 6:10a (NCV)

Monday, May 9, 2011

One year of Motherhood


One year ago today I held in my arms the little girl who would completely rock my world. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I knew I was supposed to be her mother.


I had no idea the ride I would be on for the next year when I decided to adopt her. Sometimes I just held on. Actually most of the time I just held on. Odessa's grandma-AKA Mama Lynn-says God answered the prayer she would pray when her own daughter was little. Mama Lynn says her little girl was stubborn, strong willed and very determined and in moments of despair Mama Lynn would pray that God would "repay" her little girl by giving her one just like herself one day.



Mama Lynn was very happy to see that prayer was answered when she came to meet Odessa in December.

I am the proud mother of a spunky, stubborn, smart, sassy 2 year old-
and I LOVE IT!

I can't say I love it all the time at the time. Like when she threw the house keys out the truck window in the dark going down the road at night, or how she picks out all the M&M's out of every bag of trail mix.


Motherhood is a lot scarier than I thought though. I never thought I would be a single mom. While it's nice getting to make all the decisions myself-I HAVE to make all the decisions myself.
Discipline, diet, education, etc...just praying I don't mess her up too much ;)

One thing I promise you Odessa Lynn-we will stay together. No matter the place, no matter the amount of time. Because you are mine. One day you will legally be mine-but that's just a piece of paper. I am one stubborn, determined mommy who is head over heels for you. The Haitian government can take their sweet time (just kidding-we would like to go to the states someday), the American government can make me jump through hoops but one day you will be an Andrews and become part of long line of stubborn, determined women.

In the meantime-your mommy has praying to do.
Lord-please give her a daughter
EXACTLY like her.

3 comments:

jessica said...

Funny, Ginny -- My mom said the same prayer and it came true too.
P.S.
My scripture for you today... "I could have no greater joy than to hear that my children are following the truth." 3 John 1:4 (NLT)

Beth said...

Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor? I'm raising a "mini-me" as well.

Give Odessa big kisses from the Wittenbachs!

Sandy said...

Ginny, Ginny,
What a wonderful story. You said it so well and I know you are a wonderful Mother ,justlike your Mother.

I pray for you and Odessa daily and hoping how soon she will be an
Andrews and come to the states.
I know God has a plan for you and Odessa and we will wait and see what it is.
Love you both
Sandy and Woody