When we have the opportunity to help anyone, we should do it. -Galatians 6:10a (NCV)

Saturday, December 3, 2011

So I'm getting back into the chaos here in Haiti. I was in the states for 3 weeks and acutally got a lot of work done. I spoke 6 different times on behalf of the new mission we are starting here in Haiti. I haven't talked a lot about it here on my blog-but now that we have had our first official board meeting...I will :)

Instead of writing a summary of what I did here are a list of websites to go to for the highlights :)

Missionary Convention in Atlanta

Reunited with my fav fast food

Disappointed by the Scarlet and Grey

Flashback to my teenage years but walking down different school hallways

Lots of Mother/Daughter Retail Therapy


Someone in the audience at one of the churches I spoke at asked this question,

" What is the thing that shocked you the most since coming back home?"

I wished I would have said soemthing really insightful but instead I said the first thing that came to mind,

Skinny Jeans.

Seriously...I saw these jeans on every body type during my 3 weeks home. And they didn't look good on any of them. My brother even wears them! Guys in skinny jeans...America-what is going on?  I am really hoping the next time I come in this fad has passed. 

But that question got me thinking. I am more shocked now when coming to home for a visit in the states than I am when I get off the plane in a third world country. I have done some reading on culture shock and some of it says that reverse culture shock can be worse than culture shock. That means that when you live in another culture and then return to your original culture that can be a bigger shock than you had going the different culture.

For example-Americans eat out WAY too much. I know we all know this but seriously. It's like our day is planned around meals. When I come home I always eat a ton of the food I have missed while being in Haiti. I always overeat. It is so easy to do in the states. Fast food on every corner, grilled meat smells wafting out of every steakhouse you pass, opening my parent's fridge and seeing it stuffed full of every kind of food you can imagine. Now I am going through withdrawl! We decorated our Christmas tree a few nights ago and all I wanted was Taco Bell. I couldn't help but think how some Soft tacos would have completed our decorating evening.

Another bit of culture shock is TV. Not only how much Americans watch TV but how much stuff is on there. My parents have Netflicks on the TV through the internet so there are all these shows, old and new on there. I found the Cosby show and watched 9 episodes. Yep 9. Then I found a show I saw a few episodes of when it was on, "What About Brian?" (Don't judge-yes it is a total soap opera) and watched 14 of the 24 episodes. Ridiculous! But I loved every minute of every episode. Good thing I don't have TV here-I might never get anything done :) But the funny thing is I don't miss it.

I could go on and on but the overall thought is I think I experience more culture shock when coming back home to the states than I do when coming back home to Haiti.

I had a nice break at home and go to see so many people-some who traveled hours to see me :), my parents made my time at home non stressful and my brother even came over to visit more than I remember seeing him when I lived in the states.

But seeing a pink flash of a 3 year old little girl running towards me in the airport parking lot in Haiti was the best part of the whole trip.

It's good to be home...and I haven't seen a single pair of skinny jeans yet.


No comments: