When we have the opportunity to help anyone, we should do it. -Galatians 6:10a (NCV)

Sunday, February 15, 2009



I had the opportunity to teach Sunday School last Sunday to the Kids at church. There were about 50 kids there and most were in the age range of 4-8 yrs old. I did the lesson of Jesus walking on the water and Peter stepping out and then doubting and starting to sink until Jesus reached out and got him.


Matthew 14 (NCV) says
:
Immediately Jesus told his followers to get into the boat and go ahead of him across the lake. He stayed there to send the people home.23 After he had sent them away, he went by himself up into the hills to pray. It was late, and Jesus was there alone.24 By this time, the boat was already far away from land. It was being hit by waves, because the wind was blowing against it.

25 Between three and six o'clock in the morning, Jesus came to them, walking on the water.26 When his followers saw him walking on the water, they were afraid. They said, "It's a ghost!" and cried out in fear.

27 But Jesus quickly spoke to them, "Have courage! It is I. Do not be afraid."

28 Peter said, "Lord, if it is really you, then command me to come to you on the water."

29 Jesus said, "Come."

And Peter left the boat and walked on the water to Jesus. 30 But when Peter saw the wind and the waves, he became afraid and began to sink. He shouted, "Lord, save me!"

31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught Peter. Jesus said, "Your faith is small. Why did you doubt?"

32 After they got into the boat, the wind became calm.33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped Jesus and said, "Truly you are the Son of God!"

I used a blue sheet for the kids to get around and sit on the ground holding a piece of it and shaking it to make it seem like stormy water. Then the kids took turns "walking on the water" like Jesus. I think it went well but I could tell that the kids aren't used to object lessons here. But I know how much easier it is to remember something that you saw than to remember something that you heard. I am going to try to come up with more lessons and find some on the internet to do in future weeks. I taught Sunday school back home and finding materials and resources is so much easier in the states. But the kids here are attentive and they take everything you say in and absorb it like a sponge. I was so happy to be called Miss Ginny today instead of "blan."

It's nice to see relationships developing with the people and myself. I am missing all you back home but I am excited about the new people I am meeting and new friends I am making from a totally different culture.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Still looks like great weather down there! Its all relative, the family was out playing baseball for 2 hours after school today and the temperature was around 40. That's the nicest day we are going to see in the next 7 it looks like.

Ginnyism #5...(paraphrasing here) Is it still Halloween?

Now if you don't laugh at that one :o)

That's a nice size Sunday school class you have there. Amanda and I have our hands full sometimes with our group so can't imagine 50!

Oh and the BIG news of the day...Nate McLouth signed a long term deal today. He's our All Star and Gold Glove center fielder (pictures I sent you a month or so ago with the kids). 4 years in the Burgh. What's up with this team locking up players all the sudden? That makes three long term deals this offseason. Spring Training started this week too Ginny.

Look forward to the next update!